The Venturing program offers many training programs for both youth and adults.
- The Crew Officers' training is an online training that is meant for newly elected officers. It is a short video giving job descriptions for the youth.
- The Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews is a course for youth that is available for any unit to conduct. It is best taught by youth, and every crew should consider putting on this course. The course uses activities to reinforce the skills taught in the course. It can be taught in one day in a classroom setting, but is best done during a weekend at a location such as a cabin campout. The syllabus is available online.
- The Kodiak Challenge Course is a more in depth leadership course which is meant to be taught in a high adventure setting. If you are interested in holding a Kodiak for your unit, contact Michael O'Donnell by email about how you can get some of your leadership trained to put on the course, or send youth to an already planned course.
- National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT) is a week long youth run training course that teaches youth leadership skills in an outdoor setting. This year there are two weeks planned. The will be a Pack'n Paddle Course July 19-25, 2015. The NYLT brochure flyer is below. Follow this link to the NYLT page to get more information.
- Goal Setting and Time Managment (required for Discovery) provides a fun, interactive learning experience in learning Time Management in a in a 3 ½ hour time period. The presentation of this module can be split up to accommodated to meet the needs of the crew. Completing this training module will fulfills the Venturing Discovery Award requirement for the goal setting-time management training course. This training can be run by any crew using the available syllabus or is offered regularly by districts throughout the year.
- Mentoring for Venturing (required for Summit) provides a interactive learning experience on Mentoring in a in a 2 hours. The presentation of this module can be split up to accommodated to meet the needs of the crew. Completing this training module will fulfills the Venturing Summit Award requirement for the Mentoring training course. This training can be run by any crew using the available syllabus or is offered regularly by districts throughout the year.
- Project Management Training (required for Pathfinder) is a course teaching Venturers how to manage projects in a professional manner. This syllabus is actually an adapted verson of a training that is used by a professional project management training. The syllabus and powerpoint are still not rewritten in a manner that removes copyrights of this organization and so cannot be posted online. If you need a copy of this syllabus or the accompanying presentation, please contact the VOA VP of Admin.
- Personal Safety Awareness Training information will be coming soon.
Adult Leader trainings:
- Every leader who is working with youth should remain current with the Venturing Youth Protection Training. This training is recomended to be retaken every two years. Available online at http://myscouting.scouting.org (Note: This youth protection is different than the one offered for Boy Scouts as it includes disccussion of co-ed and older teen issues)
- For the leadership of a new crew the recommended training is Venturing Fast Start. This training works through the basics of getting a crew up and running. It is available at http://myscouting.scouting.org as well as in a video format which is available at the Council office with a syllabus for use with a group.
- Every Advisor is strongly suggested, as well as all other adults are encouraged to take Venturing Advisor Position - Specific Training. The course will provide an introduction to the responsibilities, opportunities, and resources that will ensure a successful Venturing crew leadership experience. This training is only offered at in person sessions, but is offered regularly througout the year in the different districts. Check the Council Website (http://www.stlbsa.org) for updates.
- The Crew Committee is to take the Crew Committee Challenge - Crew Committee Position Specific Training. The Crew Committee Challenge is designed for crew committee members and becomes the course (along with the Venturing version of Youth Protection training) crew committee members need to be considered “trained.” This training is only offered at in person sessions, but is offered regularly througout the year in the different districts. Check the Council Website (http://www.stlbsa.org) for updates.
Additional training programs can be found at: